The Groundlings School is an innovative and challenging program that sets the standard in improvisation and sketch comedy.
The Groundlings School offers improvisational classes in a structured atmosphere, taught only by teachers trained in the Groundlings program. Class sessions usually begin every six weeks with an average total of eight sessions per year. Classes are held G2, Groundling's classroom space, located across the street from the theatre. Day, evening, and weekend classes are usually available.
In order to maintain classes that are safe, uninhibited and encourage self-growth, auditing is not allowed.
SCHOOL PAYMENTS/DROPPING CLASSES
- All payments to the Groundlings School are non-refundable, including the payment plan fees.
- There is a $25 charge for all returned checks.
- Students who pay for a class in full and drop MORE than three business days prior to the start date will receive credit for the amount they paid MINUS a non-refundable $55 processing fee.
- Students who pay for a class in full and drop LESS than three business days prior to the start date will receive school credit for the amount they paid MINUS a non-refundable $100 rushed processing fee.
- ALL PAYMENT PLAN DEPOSITS ARE NON-REFUNDABLE! NO EXCEPTIONS!
- If you drop out of a class in the middle of a session, a credit will be issued to your school account for remaining classes that have been paid for. You must CALL THE SCHOOL OFFICE AND SPEAK TO SOMEONE DIRECTLY IN ORDER TO DROP A CLASS. Not attending class is not the same as dropping out. You are responsible for paying for unattended classes if they occurred prior to your drop date.
- Payments are accepted in the school office (Mon-Fri, 10am - 5pm). Teachers DO NOT accept payments.
- The Groundlings School reserves the right to cancel a class for any reason during the course of a session. As compensation for a canceled class(es), students receive either school credit or a refund for the price of the canceled class(es). The price per class is determined by dividing the total amount paid for the course by the number of scheduled classes.
- If you are on a payment plan or have paid only the deposit, your credit card will automatically be charged on the auto-charge date listed on your statement. If you wish to pay with check, cash, or another credit card, you must do so PRIOR to the auto-charge date.
ATTENDANCE AND ADVANCEMENT POLICIES
- Students are not guaranteed a particular instructor for any specific term.
- Make up classes are not offered for missed classes.
- Missing THREE (3) BASIC/INTERMEDIATE classes means that too much of the syllabus has been missed and the instructor cannot advance a student to the next level.
- Missing TWO (2) Improv Workshop A classes is too much of the syllabus for the instructor to advance a student to the next level.
- At the end of the instruction level, the instructor, at his or her discretion, will recommend that a student advance to the next instruction level, repeat their last instruction level, be regressed to a lower level, or be dismissed from the school. Instructors reserve the right to remove a student from the program for any reason.
- Full attendance in class is not a promise or guarantee of advancement at the School, job success or continued employment.
- Students will not be given their final conference (which determines whether they advance or repeat) if they have any outstanding balance with the School.
- Upon passing a class, students have ONE YEAR to enroll in the next level before those results expire, and that if they do not advance past a level after three tries, they will no longer be eligible to continue in the core program.
SEXUAL HARASSMENT POLICIES
- During the creative process of Groundlings classes you may be exposed to activities and dialogue that could be considered sexually or otherwise offensive.
- Instructors and students should make every effort to limit production of such material to the classroom or theatre.
- If you have a complaint about any type of harassment, you should discuss the matter with The Groundlings management, including the School Administrator, the Executive Director or the Business Manager.
- As a Groundlings student, you are expected to behave in a professional manner and be respectful of both your fellow students and instructor. Chewing gum during scenes, taking phone calls or text messages, and any other behavior deemed disruptive by the instructor will not be tolerated.
How do you compare to the other schools around town?
The Groundlings school has been around for more than 38 years. We have a specific, proven technique by which we teach improv and sketch writing. All of our teachers have been through the program as both students and teachers-in-training. Many are currently working in the industry.
We offer several class sessions per year with a variety of class times and dates. Only graduates of our school may be in our performing companies.
Do I need acting experience?
We have had people with little or no acting experience do very well in the school. However, the more experience the better. The CORE and PERFORMANCE TRACKS are designed for professional actors. For non-professionals we offer IMPROV WORKSHOP A & B.
Why do I have to audition to take a class here? I am a professional actress who has been doing comedy for several years.
The audition is for your own benefit! It's to make sure you get placed in the correct class. A lot is expected of students enrolled in BASIC, the first level of the CORE TRACK, and some people may be better suited to start to IMPROV WORKSHOP A.
May I register for a BASIC Class and then audition?
No. You must have passed an audition to register for Basic class.
Can I audition for the Main Company?
Unlike other institutions, The Groundlings doesn’t allow ‘straight-to-company’ auditions. Every Groundling completed the Groundlings program and performed in the Sunday Company before being invited into the Main Company.
Why can't I choose the teacher I want to study with?
Since our instructors are all professional actors and writers, often times their assignments cannot be made until right before classes begin. But don't worry! Every teacher has gone through the same rigorous training program and teaches from a very specific syllabus. No matter who you study with, you will be in good hands.
Do you offer payment plans for your classes?
We sure do. We're here to make this process as easy for you to manage as possible.
Email the school OR call ext. 21 for details.
Can I buy a gift certificate for your classes?
Yes! Gift certificates are now available for the School. They can be purchased in any denomination and work as school credit toward any class. Call ext. 23 for more details.
Do students get discounts on tickets to Groundlings shows?
Of course they do! It's important that students going through the program have an opportunity to see the Groundlings style of comedy in action. Students are given an ID punch card that can be redeemed for one complimentary ticket to each of our five main shows. These comps must be redeemed at the box office in advance and are subject to availabilty.
Students are also eligible for one half-price ticket to performances of The Crazy Uncle Joe Show, Cookin' w/ GAS, The Completely Different Late Show, Main Company, and Sunday Company.
How do I get my student discount?
Just order your tickets through the website and use the current G2 door code as your coupon code!